Health Benefits of Chicken
Chicken is one of Australia’s favourite foods not only because it is wholesome, versatile and easy to prepare, but it offers many health benefits.
- Our bodies require protein, and because protein can’t be stored in the body, we need a new supply every day. Chicken is an ideal source of protein because it is lower in calories, fats and saturated fats than most other meats.
- White chicken meat is one of the lowest fat protein sources.
- Leg meat, while a little higher in fat, provides a rich flavour to any meal.
- Chicken provides the complete protein you require daily.
- Skinless breast fillet with fat/skin removed can be lower than 1% fat content.
- Chicken Breast has the lowest cholesterol of the entire bird at around 62mg/100g.
- 100g of baked chicken will give around 9% of the recommended dietary intake for energy.
- Chicken is extremely dense in nutrients and minerals, including protein, zinc, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, riboflavin, thiamin and niacin.
- To avoid adding fat to chicken, use cooking methods such as stir-frying and grilling that require little or no fat. If you want to pan-fry or bake use cooking spray, baking paper or low fat liquids in place of cooking oil.